Friday, January 28, 2011

The Return of the Tiffin Carrier

Hurray! Tiffin carriers are coming back and I fully support the Penang State Government's proposed campaign to launch the use of these food carriers in place of plastic bags to promote an eco-friendly environment.


I have where possible always used my old tiffin carrier whenever I wished to buy food. I keep at least one handy in my car so that I'm ready for any impulse or last minute buying. It's made of stainless steel and is quite old, having survived many steaming bowls of Koey Teow Th'ng, Hokkien Mee or whatever food I wish to put in it.


It is certainly a healthier alternative for packing food as we all know and cost wise, is affordable, even if you opt for a good stainless steel one.


During the days of my grandpa, we used to have a colourful selection of tiffin carriers, some with four tiers while the bigger ones have only three tiers. They were used for "Cheng Beng" and other festivals. I remember we had some enamel ones in blue, purple, pink and white with pretty floral designs. Where they have disappeared to since my grandpa's death many years ago is a mystery; perhaps they have been passed down to one or two of our relatives?


Nowadays tiffin carriers don't come in these traditional designs but who knows, they may be revived if we Penangites start using them again!


No comments:

Post a Comment