Sunday, October 30, 2011

Remembering Pa

When I was a schoolgirl and trying to decide my future career, I remember my Pa telling me, “Be a teacher!” I asked him why and he replied, “The holidays, girl! Teachers have the most holidays in a year!” It was probably the best advice he had given me but I had no interest in teaching and settled instead for secretarial work. I didn’t have any regrets but I always remembered his words whenever I wanted to go overseas for a holiday and didn’t have sufficient leave to take!

Looking back now, Pa must have been quite disappointed that only one of his three girls went for the teaching line. But he was a man of few words and seldom expressed his feelings or emotions, not even when he was ill. His one passion in life was cars and we had the privilege of riding in prestigious models like Jaguar and Renault. He also had a natural flair for music and was able to play the violin and piano without being able to read a single note!

Pa loved travelling and took us overseas frequently. Hong Kong was his favourite destination as he had studied there before. In those days, we sailed to H.K. on the then popular “S.S.Chusan”, one of the vessels owned by the P&O Steam Navigation Co. He loved the sea and the salt air and we loved playing on deck! I remember that we young girls also had a crush on one or two of the handsome British stewards who were working on board! Apart from overseas trips, Pa also took us on weekend trips by car to Ipoh, his hometown. We were a shy lot and didn’t mix much with our cousins but we loved the car ride and Ipoh food!

Today, just two days before All Souls Day, we placed some fresh flowers on his grave and lighted candles around it. Pa left quietly as he had lived quietly. He wouldn’t have wanted it any other way.


Pa, Mum and their brood. Yours truly is sitting on Pa's lap.

Dining at Pa's favourite restaurant by the beach, "Hollywood". It was famous for its spring rolls and "Enchi Kabin" (fried chicken). Guess who's the pretty girl (facing the camera) with the ribbon in her hair...


No comments:

Post a Comment