Sunday, April 7, 2013

Old is Gold

Mum had a sudden bout of vomiting and purging last Wednesday night.  I thought it would be best to admit her to hospital and had the ambulance take her there.  I was told she had some kind of infection and was immediately put on antibiotics.  Well, I suppose one can expect such things to happen especially at Mum's age where her immune system is probably weaker than normal. Today, thank God, she has been discharged but still needs rest, so I guess she will be spending the next few days quietly at home.

But what really peeves me is the lack of co-ordination among the nurses at the hospital, at least in the ward where Mum stayed. When I asked the other morning whether Mum had been given her medication, I was told by one nurse that it had been given.  A while later, another nurse came with a medication chart and told me she was going to give Mum's medication. I can't believe this sort of thing can happen in a highly rated hospital such as this one.  Later the Ward Sister apologised to me for the confusion.  Well, it is obvious she has to keep a tighter rein on her nurses and make sure they know what they're doing!

Yesterday evening, at my request, Mum was moved to a new room.  Confusion again - I was told that it was on the 16th floor but when we went up there, bed and all, the nurse indignantly said there must be some mistake - they had not been notified of a new patient coming in.  After a couple of phone calls, it was discovered that it was actually the 12th floor, not the 16th floor.  So down we went again .... What a stupid bungle - I dread to think what would happen if more serious slips were to be made!

Moreover the ward Mum stayed in seems to be short of staff - sometimes there isn't a soul at the nurse station.  What kind of hospital are they running?  At the rates they are charging, one would expect first class nursing care, not an indifferent attitude.

Sad to say, the standard of nursing has dropped, at least in this hospital.  I have also observed a few slip ups on previous occasions and have complained to the relevant hospital authorities but you and I know they're not going to do anything.  And I get the feeling I'm not the only one with complaints.  This morning I met a group of ladies, most probably relatives of a patient, who were looking for a nurse to help them - but there was none in sight!  "No one again, as usual," I heard one lady groan.  Attendants to help with wheelchairs are also very difficult to find.  Occasionally we get the assistance of a sympathetic security officer who, though it's not his job, is willing to help and carries Mum like Superman into the car!

Well, hospital, you had better buck up - we love our old and we didn't put them in your care just for fun.  We expect you to take excellent care of them so that they will leave fit and happy.  Old is gold and we won't put up with any tarnishing on your part!

No comments:

Post a Comment