Tuesday, October 11, 2011

A Tale of Two Kidneys

It never occurred to us, least of all Mum, that her pair of kidneys would one day pack up and go on a long holiday. But they did and so began a series of visits to the nephrologist and finally regular visits to the hospital for dialysis.

Mum still finds it difficult to accept her predicament up to this day. Having been fairly active all along, she resented being hooked to an insensitive machine for four hours twice a week – it was definitely not her idea of “fun”. She missed her fellowship meetings and spiritual activities. She became angry, upset, miserable and even rebellious. Why had she deserved this “punishment”, hadn’t she always led a virtuous life? I wish I had the answer to this FAQ of hers.

The first time I entered the dialysis centre, I was amazed at the number of patients undergoing treatment. And they are not all old people, there are a few young ones as well. As I watched them, I thought how depressed they must feel to sit there week after week, knowing that they will have to go through this for the rest of their lives. I was particularly touched by a 92 year old lady who had been undergoing dialysis for a year or so. She seems to have accepted her fate and always sleeps blissfully while the machine she is hooked to rambles on. Never a word of complaint from her. She is attended to by two maids, one of whom has been looking after her for 12 long years! I consider her very lucky to have such loyal, caring companions.

Looking at all these unfortunate people does make one appreciate the countless blessings God has given us and I did indeed send a silent prayer of thanks to Him. Fortunately the sight of all those blood filled tubes linked to the machines don't make me feel queasy, otherwise it would have been difficult for me to give Mum the moral support she needs!

Mum has gone for dialysis for a month now and I hope she will get used to the idea soon. It had not been easy for her but I’m glad there are signs of an improved appetite and general wellness. For a God fearing person and a very pious one at that, I’m sure she will get lots of support from a loving God and His guardian angels!


No comments:

Post a Comment