Thursday, March 29, 2012

Then The Kids Yell...

I wake up at eight
Potter about in the garden until nine
Then the kids yell
"Time for breakfast, Ah Ma!"

I drink a cup of Milo and eat some toast
Settle down and read the papers
Then the kids yell,
"Time for lunch, Ah Ma!"

I sit at the table
Fried mee and chicken soup before me
But my favourite sambal is missing
They forgot to buy it from the market
I finish off with warm water and a piece of papaya
Then the kids yell,
"Time for your afternoon nap, Ah Ma!"

I don't feel like napping
But they insist I must sleep
I read the papers again and finally fall asleep
Then the kids yell,
"Time for tea, Ah Ma!"

Is it already four o'clock?
They bring me more Milo and kueh
I take a walk in the garden to stretch my legs
I sit there for some time and watch the setting sun
Then the kids yell,
"Time for dinner, Ah Ma!"

This time rice with chicken curry
Someone has bought ice kacang
We sit and eat it while watching TV
Then the kids yell,
"Time for bed, Ah Ma!"

I don't really want to go to bed
Why can't I go into town and have some char koay teow?
But they insist I am tired and should take some rest
So I change into my pyjamas and wash my wrinkled face
Oh-oh, where are my glasses?
What the heck, I'll find them tomorrow

They tip-toe out of my room satisfied
and switch off the lights
As soon as they've gone, I switch on my bedside lamp
and read a book
Then the kids yell,
"Go back to bed, Ah Ma!"

Kids! Why can't they leave an old woman alone?

I don't mean to be angry
I know they think they're doing what's best for me
But all I want is to be myself
To live life at my own pace
Will they understand one day?


~ The Rambling Nonya ~


No comments:

Post a Comment