Tuesday, September 15, 2009

A Childhood Dream



When I was small, I used to dream of becoming a Chinese opera star. I think I was influenced by the Chinese movie magazines my amah bought to read. Every time a new issue came out, I would grab it and thumb through it, though I could not read a word of Chinese.


I loved looking at the pictures of the actresses in long flowing embroidered robes and wide sleeves. I also loved the elaborate headdress they wore which were covered with sequins and pearls. I learnt that there are different costumes for different roles which depict the rank and status of the wearer and that the headdress is a very important accessory as it helps the audience to identify specific roles. I was also fascinated by the makeup the actors and actresses wore - their arched eyebrows and rosy red cheeks made them look stunning!



There was one handsome actor, whose name I have forgotten, who was famous for his role as a dashing hero in a well known Chinese legend. I had a crush on him and used to pester my mum to take me to the cinema to see his movies when they came to town. At home, I would stage my own "opera" and star in them!


However, my ambition to become an actress was dropped like hot bricks when father took the family to see a Danny Kaye movie. Everybody thought it would be hilarious but it didn't turn out to be that funny especially when one of the secret agents got killed and his body was nailed to the back of a door. I was so terrified I started wailing and we all had to go home. For weeks, I didn't dare look at the back of my bedroom door or any door for that matter!



In my childish mind, if being an actress meant being nailed to a door, I certainly wasn't prepared to become one! I continued to be a fan of Chinese operas until I was in my teens, by which time too much school work made it impossible for me to indulge in this pastime.



No comments:

Post a Comment