Saturday, May 8, 2010

Going Behind the Wheel


Going behind the wheel for the first time was simply frightening especially when you have been sitting comfortably in the back of a car all the time without having to do anything.

When I first learnt how to drive, I had a lady instructor whom everyone called “Or Beh” (Hokkien for “Black Horse”). O.B. ran her own driving school and had an unbeatable record for churning out drivers with exceptional skill. To be taught by her was indeed a privilege.
During the first few days of my driving lessons, I had a hard time getting used to the three pedals at the bottom of my feet. Sometimes, I stepped on the brake when I was supposed to step on the clutch and vice versa. At other times, my foot seemed to be glued to the accelerator and we charged madly through the traffic, narrowly missing cyclists and trishaws. Changing gears was another headache. I wrenched the gear stick so hard every time that it almost broke!

For something like two weeks, we hobbled along painfully, keeping to the left of the road so that we would not obstruct ongoing traffic. The little black Morris Minor that I drove carried a big red “L” at the back so that other motorists could steer clear of me. When I was a little less nervous, I drove slowly up to the practice grounds in Batu Uban. There I had to practise parking by maneuvering in and out of carefully placed sticks which represented small parking lots. Once or twice I crashed into the sticks but after patient guidance from O.B., I didn’t make the same mistake again.

Driving uphill was another terrifying task for someone with an ‘L’ licence. My fear of slipping backwards down the hill was greater than my fear of going up! Tough as she was, O.B. showed no sign of fear or anxiety as I struggled to bring the car up. She must have gone through this a hundred and one times! When the day came for me to take my driving exam, I passed all the tests, including the uphill one! O.B. was very pleased - and I had not ruined her reputation!

At that time, Father had a sleek, grey green Jaguar and he lost no time in getting me to drive it (especially after having paid for all those driving lessons!). It was a difficult transition, from a small Morris Minor to a Jaguar. I was very nervous driving it as I was afraid I might ram it into something. Finally, Father decided to buy me a smaller car and it was plain sailing from then on.

Now I can consider myself a seasoned driver but my years on the road had not been exactly trouble free. I was and still am being honked at by impatient drivers but thankfully I have a small car which I can easily slip into a parking lot without too much fuss. However, even for an experienced driver, a little accident will come by sooner or later. Two years ago I hit a motorcyclist coming from the opposite direction. For some strange reason, I had not seen him coming, I think my mind must have been on my work at the office. Fortunately he was not hurt and we have today become good friends.

I have also become extra careful – and slow – since that accident which explains all the honking whenever I’m on the road. I always tell my friends it’s better to be a tortoise and arrive safely home than a hare with broken limbs!


Oh, one other thing – I hate driving in the rain – so whenever it’s wet, you can find me at home. I have missed a few functions but no matter, there will be others.

And of course I now drive an auto gear car. O.B. would have been very proud of me!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Nonya,
    Is it ok with you if i use the image of the car swerving on a leaflet that i will be making to promote my business. I am just concerned about any copyright. Also, if this is not your image, do you remember where you got the image from?
    I would be very grateful for any help.
    Thank you

    ReplyDelete