Sunday, December 12, 2010

It's Always Nice to be Appreciated

Yes, it is always nice to be appreciated! I had been doing some voluntary work at St.Nicholas' Home for the Blind and Visually Impaired for some time now and was pleasantly surprised when I received an email invitation to the Home's Appreciation Night on December 3 at the Georgetown Berjaya.


It turned out to be an entertaining evening, with a number of fun items on the programme. I met other volunteers and supporters and sat at a table with some members of the staff whom I already knew. Everyone had a lucky draw prize and mine was a KFC voucher for a box of "finger licking good" fried chicken! If I remember correctly, the grand prize was a night's stay at the Hard Rock Hotel, Batu Ferringhi. Wish I could have won that!


I work in the Appeals Department though I regret to say that my visits have become somewhat irregular. The staff are warm and friendly and always appreciative of help. The Home also has a pastry section where they teach baking to a few less visually impaired young people. They have a wide selection of cookies for Chinese New Year, so if you have time, pop in and make your pick! The Bagan Jermal Anglican Church is also situated on the grounds of the Home and they have chapel service every Friday morning.


Incidentally, guess what's the Home's motto? "We Walk by Faith, Not by Sight". Quite appropriate, don't you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment