Sunday, November 24, 2013

88th Year



Yesterday, 23rd November saw our celebration of the 88th year of our guru, Bhagawan Sri Sathya Sai's advent. Sai centres all over the world celebrate this day with great love and enthusiasm, for to us, He is still very much alive.

The prayers at our centre began at 8 p.m.  Unlike the last few days, yesterday evening was clear without a single drop of rain. Someone estimated there were at least 100 devotees who had come to share this happy occasion.  A few of them we see only once a year, at this time, and I was surprised that they had changed - in looks, that is - most of them had put on weight! In fact I had some difficulty recognising one or two - which made me wonder whether they had difficulty recognising me!

The evening began with the singing of devotional songs by selected lead singers who were accompanied on the piano by a shy pianist.  I personally found his playing very pleasant to the ears and wished I had taken up playing the piano in my younger days.  At the conclusion of the singing, a co-ordinator read Swami's message for the evening and also made a few announcements about forthcoming activities.  I noted there will be a meal for the poor in early December - hope I can make it to this one.

Then the highlight of the evening - the lighting of Swami's birthday cake.  I was a little surprised to see that this year's birthday cake was made up of a number of little cupcakes placed on a 3-tiered cake stand - first time done here in over 20 years, if I'm not mistaken.   But it looked very pretty with roses tucked around the cakes.  Alas, I didn't have the chance of nibbling one of the cakes ...

The last part of the programme is what most people look forward to ... the refreshments!  After finishing our individual prayers at the altar, we headed for the adjoining community hall where a variety of snacks was laid out.  We each had a small bundle with a large "mee koo" (bun) to take home ... very nice indeed.

It was an enjoyable evening singing the glory of our Lord.  My personal prayer is for strength and courage to face the challenges, trials and tribulations of life.

However, it was with a tinge of sadness when I went to bed.  I was thinking how Mum would have enjoyed herself this evening - she had been to India on numerous trips during her lifetime and loved every minute of them.  But then, I imagine she would have had her own glorious celebrations in the heavenly realms with her beloved Guru - hope you enjoyed yourself, Mum!

Swami's chair
Swami's padukas (sandals)


No comments:

Post a Comment