Wednesday, February 5, 2014

A Quiet New Year

While others galloped around welcoming the new year, we had a quiet reunion dinner at my sis' home in Sg. Petani.  It was close to 8 p.m. when we tucked in to some Nonya food namely Chicken Curry Kapitan, "Joo Hoo Chah", "Hong Bak", "Lor Bak" and "Siow Bak".  To satisfy our sweet tooth, brother-in-law served us ice cream with peaches as dessert.  (Alas, I forgot my camera, so no pics.)  After dinner we settled down to watch TV. There's not much excitement in a small town like S.P. even during the festive season except for the noise of fire crackers, something which I had hoped to get away from.  I went to bed early while the others stayed on to watch the late night movies.

This is our first year without the "head of the family" - our beloved mum.  Our elders advised us that this year we are not supposed to make new year visits to homes of relatives and friends (as we are considered to be still in mourning) nor can we give "ang pows" (red packets) or new year gifts.  Our offerings at the altar should also not be decorated with red paper as is usually done every year.  Most importantly, we should not hang the new year "chai" (red cloth) at our front door.  Incidentally, I was also told not to dust or wash the house before the new year!

I was also advised to cut short my spiritual agenda i.e. no sending off or receiving of the Kitchen God, no burning of jossticks to usher in the new year, no prayers to the Jade Emperor, to name a few.  So there was in fact less stress and pressure this year! 

For the altar, I placed only the "basics" - a pineapple, oranges, "Huat Kueh" (steamed rice flour cakes), "Ti Kueh" (sticky rice cake or "Kuih Bakul"), "Poo Wah" (bottle gourd) and "Chien Up" (dried red dates and longans) - all of which have good significance.  I thought the offerings looked a bit sad this year without their usual gay decorations.  But I guess the Gods understand!  (Incidentally, these do's and don'ts apply only to Mum's house.)


Fond memories of Mum will always surface during festive occasions. She was so particular in getting things done right to the last detail! I'm so glad I have these old pictures of her - they will always be cherished by us.

CNY  eve - 2010

Reunion dinner - 2011














Mum and the God of Prosperity - 2012



Let me conclude by sending loving kindness
 to all of you out there:

May you all be happy
May you all be safe
May you all be healthy
May you all enjoy peace and harmony
 in your home

HAPPY NEW YEAR! 


No comments:

Post a Comment