Friday, May 22, 2015

"Service to Man is Service to God"

Doing service was of prime importance to Mum when she was alive.  In fact, I often heard her pray to the Gods "Please don't let me be sick, I want to do service" or words to that effect.  Whenever we had service activities at our Sai Centre, Mum was sure to take part.  She practically lived our Swami's maxim "Service to Man is Service to God."

So last Wednesday, 20th May, this being her 2nd anniversary (according to the Chinese calendar), I thought it befitting to give a meal for the poor in her memory. The venue was a drop-in centre in town for the homeless and hungry and I was lucky to have a group of friends who prepared the food for me.  They cook twice a month for these people and often come out with an interesting variety of vegetarian dishes.  Mum had been a few times to this centre and enjoyed serving there, even though it meant carrying only a few plates of rice to the tables!

This time round, my friends prepared veg curry, fried veg with glass noodles and tofu soup.  I think the 70 odd men and women enjoyed their meal because they kept asking for more rice!  Incidentally, before each meal, everyone is asked to stand and one of the staff of the centre will say a short prayer thanking those who sponsor it and pray for their well being.  Very nice indeed. Meal time begins at 5.30 p.m and by 6, everyone has finished.  These folks also wash their own plates, mind you!








It was very gratifying to see these people walking home after their meal, a satisfied look on their faces.
Mum was happy too, I'm sure!  I can almost hear her asking me "When's the next meal??"!


Offerings for Mum at P.T. Temple in the morning.
The paper lotus is made of up of prayers and is burnt after praying.

No comments:

Post a Comment