Tuesday, June 23, 2015

The Rice Dumpling Festival

Offering of dumplings at
our altar at home
Last Saturday, 20th June was the Rice Dumpling Festival (or more correctly known as 'Duan Wu Jie').  Yes, it was the 5th day of the 5th month of the Chinese lunar calendar again!  

So there I was running to the shop a day ahead to get my rice dumplings for worship at home.  Mum would have chided me for having left this to the last minute and fortunately, there were still lots of dumplings left.  I bought the "pua kiam tee" (half savoury half sweet) dumplings as well as the "kee chung" (plain dumplings eaten with palm sugar syrup).  The shop also sold another version using brown rice instead of glutinous rice, supposed to be more healthy - and of course more expensive.

Setting up the altar was quite easy and after prayers at home, I went over to Phor Tay temple to pray. As usual, the temple altar had been impeccably set up with offerings of fruits, flowers and of course dumplings. I must say due credit should be given to the nuns and the temple helpers!



Offerings at Phor Tay Temple

Is there glue under the egg ... ha! ha! ha!
This is also the day that an egg is able to "stand up" if you try before 12 noon.  My brother-in-law seems to be quite deft at this little "feat" and you can see his egg standing up in the picture he sent me. My maid tried but wasn't successful.  Maybe we don't have the right vibrations in the house!

For the superstitious, I am told it will bring you good luck and good health if you wash your face with tap water around 12 noon.  Some people go a step further by storing water from the tap at this time and keeping it for cooking later on.

So all being said, I hope everyone had a Happy Duan Wu Jie and enjoyed their rice dumplings!






No comments:

Post a Comment