Thursday, July 28, 2016

Longevity Bowl



While on the subject of longevity, I recently attended an uncle's 90th birthday dinner. It was an enjoyable and meaningful evening as I met up with many old relatives whom I hadn't seen for some time.  

We found to our delight that our host had given each of us a very special gift - a Longevity Bowl and Longevity Chopsticks!  It is the traditional belief that giving such an auspicious gift on "golden" birthdays (i.e. 50 years old and above) will bring wealth, luck and longevity to those receiving it. What an apt gift from one so wise and knowledgeable!  We were told later that we are not supposed to use it but to keep it safely.

So after the cake cutting, I went home clutching my precious gift which now stands proudly in my glass cupboard among my other souvenirs.

No comments:

Post a Comment