Saturday, September 26, 2015

Mooncakes are Back!

Yes, the Mid-Autumn Festival is here again!  More commonly known as the Mooncake Festival or Lantern Festival, this is the time when young and old get together, feast on mooncakes and enjoy togetherness with the family.  Cultural shows and carnivals have been organised with lantern parades and lion dances and I dare say this is the best time for people to visit Penang!

 Like last year, I got my mooncakes from a vegetarian shop in town.  I was relieved to see that prices were about the same though exotic flavours cost more.  Would you believe it, this year they also have ice cream mooncakes!  I have yet to taste them.  I usually stick to mooncakes with traditional flavours but I am more adventurous this time round and decided to try those with different fillings like green tea, durian and green bean paste.  I was tempted to try the chocolate ones but somehow the dark brown, almost black colour put me off.

When Mum was alive, she never missed praying to the Goddess in the Moon. She went through a lot of trouble to buy the offerings and set everything up for the prayers.  One can't but help admire her perseverance in keeping old traditions alive.

The Festival falls on Sunday, 27th September. Happy Mid-Autumn Festival, Mum!



Mooncakes galore - those with "regular" fillings cost RM15 each at this shop


I like the colourful boxes the mooncakes come in




Moon biscuits, some plain, some with fillings


"Hokkien Piah" (Hokkien mooncakes) on the right with candied winter melon and mixed seeds filling


These white cakes known as "Peh Koe" are made from sweetened rice flour and are for praying to the moon!



Happy Mid-Autumn Festival everyone
and enjoy your mooncakes!

No comments:

Post a Comment