Saturday, May 12, 2012

Home Sweet Home

Mum was discharged this afternoon after eight and a half days in hospital.  Now we have a huge bill to settle but the important thing is that she is well after receiving treatment for the bug that caused her misery.

Mum's stay in hospital this time had its funny moments. We took a four bedded room (to cut costs) and she had a sweet, 70 year old lady in the next bed who though quite senile, is still strong and mobile.  She is a great favourite with the nurses who told us that every time she felt depressed, her family would dump her in hospital. So if she's not pottering around talking to other patients, she will make a nuisance of herself at the nurses' station!  I guess she's really quite lonely with her children too busy to look after her.  Everyone missed her when she left the hospital last night!

Mum is of course glad to be back in her own bed and hopefully she will be her normal self soon.  For us our responsibility of caring for her continues...

I often wonder what it would be like if I live up to Mum's age.  I will probably have to check myself into an old folks' home and grow old gracefully there. In time to come, I won't be able to remember who I am or tell the difference between an apple and an egg. Not quite a pleasant picture but so long as I don't get too senile to recognise my friends who hopefully will come and visit me!






No comments:

Post a Comment