Saturday, December 22, 2018

Happy Winter Solstice



 Happy Winter Solstice everyone!  Here are my "kuih ee" (glutinous rice balls) ready to be offered at the altar.  

This "Tang Chek" Festival is a very auspicious celebration on the Chinese calendar and it is not surprising that many families here still observe it.  What better time than for the family to sit down together over a sweet bowl of "kuih ee" and exchange pleasantries!

 I miss those days when we used to roll our own rice balls.  I remember Mum was so particular about the shape and size of the balls that very often, she had to re-do those that we kids made. (They were either too big or too small or out of shape!). She would also utter "good" words when we rolled so that we would have a good ending to the year and start a happy and prosperous new year. 

As most people know, this festival also serves as a reminder that we are now a year older.  For me, I'd like to think I'm a year WISER!

HAPPY WINTER SOLSTICE!
22 December 2018

No comments:

Post a Comment