Wednesday, January 9, 2019

Full Moon Joy



My cousin is over the moon, so to speak!  His wife has given him twin baby boys and a few days ago, they both turned one month old!  As per Chinese tradition, when a baby becomes a month old, the parents have a little celebration to mark its first full month of life.  So I was duly presented with a traditional full moon gift - a little box containing nasi kunyit (yellow rice), curry, ang koo (red glutinous cakes) and red eggs. Nowadays bakeries can supply full moon packages for the convenience of  the new mum and dad and I notice this one included two lovely pieces of cake in the box!  Eggs, I am told, represent fertility and traditional cakes are dyed red to symbolise good luck and good fortune. Traditionally, if a son is born to you, the ang koo will come in a round shape and if it's a girl, the ang koo will take the tortoise shape.  But I see here that the caterer gave one of each!  A miscommunication, perhaps? My cousin is going to be pretty busy from now on ..... good luck, Pk and keep those nappies rolling!

No comments:

Post a Comment