Monday, July 23, 2012

Never Ending Stress - 2

Continuing Mum's hospital saga ... Mum is better and has put up s with just about everything - the bland hospital food, the cold air conditioning, painful jabs and countless blood tests - it's a wonder she still has any blood left!  Most annoying probably is interrupted sleep - when the nurse comes to check her blood pressure or to take her temperature.  Extreme care had been taken to treat her ulcer and things look brighter.

Lately, my Cambodian maid told me she had a scuffle with the relatives of the patient in the next bed who had complained that Mum was making too much noise. It is true that Mum sometimes gets carried away with her bedtime prayers or calls to the deities when she can't sleep.  I must say I was surprised at my maid's loyalty - she said she defended Mum (in her best English) and shut them up!  I wish I had been there - it must have been a very interesting scene!

Last night, I took time off to join some friends in a prayer session.  I  had been missing a number of activities since Mum went on dialysis and it was good to see my old friends again.  However, I was dismayed when I was met with remarks like "You've lost weight", "You've gone so thin now!", etc., etc.  Well, when you've got a tough job like mine, shedding a few kilos is a natural thing.  For those who want to lose weight, caregiving is definitely the best (and most rewarding) "exercise" you can do!



No comments:

Post a Comment