Monday, August 27, 2012

Seeing Again ...

Well, I never thought I had to do it ... many of my friends had done it ...and finally I had to do it ... and I did it last week ...

Sorry for the riddle - I'm talking about my cataract surgery.  I had been having poor vision for the last two years or so and my eye doc finally said it was time to have the cataract removed from my right eye.  When I told my friends, they swamped me with dozens of post-surgery do's and don'ts.  Of course they meant well and they did help me to reduce my anxiety before surgery.

So I was more or less prepared when the day of  the surgery dawned.  However, I was rather surprised when I was given a mild tranquiliser to take just before the op (something which my friends had not mentioned) to calm my nerves.  After a number of questions from the attending nurse regarding my general health and the medication I was taking, I was wheeled to the OT.

I must say the op was a most interesting experience - quick and painless - and I marvel at how easily it was done.  I believe all in all it took about half an hour to 40 minutes and would have been quicker if I had not blinked so much!

Anyway, I'm glad it's all over.  When I compare my new vision with what I see with my left eye, I am shocked at how I could have gone driving around town all this while!  In the last few days, I have come to appreciate the blessings of good eyesight.  I am seeing new colours and people's faces clearly for the first time in many years, and it's so nice to be able to read road names again!

The nurse at the hospital said that there is no diet restriction and there is no need to "pantang" but my advisors say I should steer clear of prawns (which may cause itchiness) and "tok" fish (fish that may cause allergy or some adverse reaction).

My advisors also say I should not spend too much time at the pc so soon after surgery.  So I conclude by saying that good eyesight is a gift most precious - even though it means having to look at all my wrinkles in the mirror when I get up in the morning!


1 comment:

  1. Cataract operations are indeed simple nowadays. My dad did both of his. Just make sure the eyedrops given are used correctly.

    ReplyDelete