Saturday, September 8, 2012

Seeing Again - 2

It has been more than two weeks since my cataract surgery ... and so far, so good.  Went for a review at the hospital a few days ago and my eye doc was pretty pleased after examining my eye.  He went on to explain that he used the latest "suction laser" technique and in addition put in a stitch somewhere to make my lens more stable.  So I really don't have to worry about bending over or carrying heavy things and other do's and don'ts which people believe may cause the lens to pop out.

Sometimes I wonder how true these do's and don'ts are - maybe they're associated with cataract surgery of old i.e. when the technique was not so advanced as now.  When I mentioned this to my friends, they were adamant that I should not throw caution to the wind - it pays to be careful, so they said.  Incidentally I still use the "I Shield" which the hospital gave to cover my eye when sleeping at night.  Though I need to use it for the first week only, I have, as advised, decided to be careful and am still using it.

I've got my new glasses now and can see very clearly with my right eye but of course the vision of my left eye remains unchanged.  I'm really seeing with one eye only and  I did a bit of driving yesterday to see how it felt to be a one-eyed driver.  It wasn't too bad, though as usual my friends' advice kept humming in my ears - don't drive for more than an hour, don't overstrain your eye, etc., etc.

Two days ago, I ate a tuna bun and after enjoying it, it suddenly occurred to me whether I should have eaten it.  I think they said sardines are "tok" but tuna?  A quick look in Google and I was relieved to read that they're not in the same family as sardines.  Anyway, as a friend pointed out, I have my antibiotic drops and they should protect me adequately.

My next appointment with my eye doc is in two months' time.  He has gone off on long leave by the way.  When he saw the worried look on my face, he laughed and told me that his Indonesian patients have all returned home quite happy with their "new" eyes and they're certainly not worried!

Meantime I was shocked to see a bunch of greying hair at the top of my head the other morning - something my old eyes had so kindly spared me from seeing all this time!


No comments:

Post a Comment