Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Flu Blues

I woke up yesterday morning with a sore throat. As I lay in my bed, "H1N1" kept flashing before my eyes. Oh, no, not me....! I reached for my thermometer which I always keep at my bedside (that's why people say I'm a hypochondriac). No fever, thank goodness. Well, whatever it was, I was determined to beat it.

I got up and went downstairs to the kitchen. Although a doctor friend of mine says gargling does not help, I thought it would be worth a try. I put some salt in warm water and gargled. I felt better. Then I caught sight of the bottle of pure honey I had bought recently. Why not? Honey has been known for centuries for its many virtues. I made myself a glass and settled down to my morning chores. When evening came around, I still had that dry, parched feeling in my throat. I gargled another time and went to bed.

I was not expecting a miracle overnight but my throat did feel a little better this morning. I checked my email and suddenly remembered one that a friend had sent me about coconut water . It claimed that it can be used as a medication for prevention of flu because of its alkaline content. Well and good. All I had to do was to go the market and get it. Then an article in the papers caught my eye - the writer had from experience found that virgin coconut oil (VCO) cured him of his sore throat and impending flu! Now this was interesting - perhaps I should go to the supermarket instead.

However, nature was against me. It was raining quite heavily and I was unable to go out. My mind was in a turmoil - coconut water, coconut oil - which one? It continued to rain. Finally, I made up my mind. No more home cures, I was going to see a doctor. I think mum had something to do with it. She has always had something against coconuts.

So after lunch, I called a taxi. It was my intention to wear a face mask to the clinic as a precaution but after struggling with my umbrella, purse AND raincoat, I forgot about it. To my relief, there were only three patients at the clinic and they didn't look too sick. The nurses were not wearing face masks, neither was the doctor.

The doc, whom I had been seeing for the last ten years or so, was quite chatty and filled me in on her recruitment of a new maid from Cambodia. We exchanged news in between taking my temperature and listening to my lungs. We could have chatted on for ages if it weren't for impatient noises from other patients waiting outside. I was given some antibiotics and Vitamin C and sent home to rest.

Well, I am putting myself under "house quarantine" for the rest of the week. It's okay, I won't miss the supermarkets or shopping malls. There is really no place I'd rather be than within the safe walls of my own home.

No comments:

Post a Comment