Friday, March 6, 2015

A Quiet Chap Goh Meh

Now that the festivities are over, I can sit back and relax a little. While the younger generation was out there at the Esplanade on Chap Goh Meh throwing oranges into the sea, I was quietly sipping Milo, my mind meandering its way down Memory Lane.  Now and then my thoughts were interrupted by the noise of crackers let off by people determined to round off their new year with a big bang!

So many things I thought about - Mum,  the things we did together, the things I did over the new year, etc. etc.  I missed Mum during the CNY but I guess she is celebrating it in her own big way in the heavenly realms!

This year I had not bought any "pengat" for worship at home as a sweet ending to the CNY.  I had been told by the elders to simplify things and make life a little easier for myself!  To my surprise P.T. Temple had also given up preparing this delicacy; it does involve a lot of work especially the cutting of the ingredients. So all in all I felt less guilty for giving up this tradition!

The altar in P.T.'s prayer hall was as usual beautifully decorated.  The statue of Lord Buddha was surrounded by colourful orchids grown by the Head Nun herself and the offerings were an interesting array of fruits and cooked food.  I always feel so peaceful here!


Lord Buddha flanked by colourful home grown orchids


Offerings of fruit and food for Lord Buddha and Kuan Yin


This new year, I also had the great opportunity of witnessing a Lion Dance at one of our Sai centres.  I haven't seen one at close range for a few years now and the lion dancers did put up a very good performance.  They bowed respectfully before Swami's chair and then pranced around the hall. The lions even came close to the devotees and allowed them to touch their furry manes!  A thrilling and joyful experience!



Hopefully the Year of the Goat will be a peaceful and uneventful one and that everyone will be happy and safe.  For those of you who are looking back at life with some nostalgia and perhaps some misgivings, I have a little quote to share with you (below).


"When you look back on your life when you’re old and ask, “What have you done with your life?” And I don’t mean doing something great like starting foundations over in poor countries. I don’t mean like being a Nelson Mandela or being a great politician or statesman who saved thousands of people in Africa. I’m talking about just the ordinary small things which you have done in your life. The things which will never be known by anybody except the people you’ve touched, you’ve helped, you’ve loved, you’ve been kind to. That is your legacy. That is the reason why you are here. It’s not to be some big shot who’s famous but to be a beautiful, kind person who’s served and helped so many." 

~ Ajahn Brahm



Be happy, make people happy - you can't go wrong this way!

No comments:

Post a Comment