Monday, December 21, 2015

Winter Solstice is Here Again!



Oh no, the Winter Solstice festival is here again .... and that means we're one year older!  At least that's what the elders say. Oh well, so long as we still can enjoy our multi-coloured glutinous rice dumplings (tang yuan)!  This year the celebration seems to be rather quiet to me, though people were snapping up containers  of rice dumplings from the stalls when I went to buy them yesterday.  It is a time consuming task to roll the balls, so that's why more and more people are buying them "ready made". I know Mum would never forgive me if I didn't continue to offer rice dumplings on this special day to the deities at home but I made it simple, just a small bowl for each deity.  As many will know, the round shape of the balls and the bowls in which they are served symbolise family togetherness.  Nowadays, you don't have to wait until the winter solstice to eat rice dumplings.  They can easily be found in the market and food outlets any time of the year and eaten as a dessert.

Happy Tang Yuan Festival!

No comments:

Post a Comment