Friday, October 31, 2014

The Festival of Lights

After three frustrating weeks, my phone connection has at last been restored and I'm "back in business"!  As many people will agree, being without an Internet connection is like having your right arm cut off. I almost jumped with joy when I saw a man on top of the telephone pole this morning.  As it turned out, he was from TM and in less than half an hour, my phone line and modem were happily working.  I was tempted to ask what took him so long to get here, but decided against it.  He might just jump off the pole and never come back!

I'm a little late with my postings, nevertheless better late than never.

Beginning with The Festival of Lights (Deepavali), I was fortunate to have attended a performance by the Temple of Fine Arts (TFA) at a nearby shopping mall a few days before the festival last October.  It was a good effort by the TFA students who put up an interesting show of Indian classical and folk dances.  There were also live music performances using traditional Indian instruments.  The show stretched for two hours, longer than I thought it would but attracted only a handful of shoppers and passers-by. 

I took a number of photos, some of which you can see below.

This kolam, done by students from an art academy, is at the entrance of the shopping mall.




Lord Krishna in his classic pose

Lord Rama (centre), Lakshmana and Sita





Aren't they pretty?





Some of the pretty dancers


The Temple of Fine Arts, established by Swami Shantanand Sarawathi, is a non-profit organisation promoting an appreciation and study of Indian arts and culture. It is located at Babington Avenue and has been operating since 1981. Apart from arts and culture, the Temple of Fine Arts also operates the Annalakshmi Restaurant which is located within its premises and is well known for its wholesome vegetarian food. 

No comments:

Post a Comment